Friday, June 8, 2007

Introductory Crap

I'm Melinda and I'm a bad mommy. There are Alpha Moms and Beta Moms. I think I'm a Zeta. My two kids are David and Sabrina. David is 6 and is autistic. He is smart and sweet, but has problems communicating. His receptive language skills are at about age level, but his expressive language skills are at about a 3-year-old level. David just "graduated" from Early Childhood Special Education and will be moving to an autism classroom in the fall. He will spend part of the day in a regular kindergarten as well. Sabrina is 2 and very, very busy. Seriously, the kid never stops moving. She's smart, funny, and a royal pain in my butt. Now would a good mommy say something like that?

I'm a recovering attorney and former associate producer of the consumer investigation beat at a local television news station. I've been doing the stay-at-home-mom thing since David was born (I worked at the station until a few hours before I went to the hospital to have him). I'm not sure what I want to do when I go back to work. I'm kind of burned out on practicing law, but TV doesn't pay well at all. We'll see, I guess.

There's also a husband/father in the picture, Matthew. We don't always get along, but we are devoted to raising our children together in a loving, if somewhat chaotic, home. I am a terrible housekeeper, a lousy organizer, and frequently bad mommy. But I love my children desperately and completely, even if I don't always like them.

No comments: